Tuesday, October 23, 2007

P90X Lean and The Dreya Roll

If you're one of the kind and thoughtful readers who's checking this blog out for the first time, and

  1. You've seen the ads, and you're really intrigued
  2. You want to put down the dough and go for it
  3. You're unsure/scared/worried it's too hard/don't believe the claims
then this is the post for you.

My last post here was in July, when, after 180 days of P90X (the latter 90 doing Doubles), I decided I was going to back out of the San Francisco Half Marathon I had been training for. I'd never backed out of a run before. I was a necessary decision, but it felt like hell. Since then, I've barely managed to keep any training up. Worse: P90X became a thing I kept moving around my house from place to place, because without being used daily, it had no place to be.

So today, as Sara and I start the third program in the P90 package, P90X Lean, I'm almost right back where I started. Weak upper body, chunky waist, a bit listless. Still fit - I ran the Nike Women's Half on Sunday - but, like before, not as fit as I thought.

I'm almost back where I started. This time, I know what I'll be at the end of 90 days: physically changed and freaking amazed.

Example: today, Day One, we did Core Synergistics, a sweet little focus program for the core (think body without arms or legs. Think the character Randian in Tod Browning's 1932 movie "Freaks" - yes I took you there, stop whining). There's this move at the end called the Dreya Roll which just made me laugh. You stand; you bend your legs, roll onto your butt, roll up on your back and let your legs go straight into the air. Then pull your legs back down and roll yourself - you laughing yet? - back onto your feet, and a standing position.

I couldn't do it. By the end of 90 days, I will have it aced. And this is why I love having this program in my life: what seems impossible now is my trophy in 90 days. I wish everything was like that.

10 comments:

Soulseros said...

Yeah, to accomplish the Dreya roll is also my goal, along with doing at least 1 unassisted pull up. My belly gets in the way of my dreya roll!

Tamsen said...

no kidding, summer! my belly gets in the way too, and my butt just wants to stay on the floor. Dreya Weber is my hero...

Anonymous said...

Yesterday was Day 1 for me and my husband .. I was thinking the same thing about the Dreya Roll - I will be able to do it at the end of this.

Anonymous said...

i have been doing it for 2 weeks now and i definitely feel fit. also my stomach has reduced and chest become a little tighter..

Jbird said...

I started this morning with the core synergistics disc. I ate what I thought was a compliant breakfast; A small bowl of All Bran buds, decked out with dried pineapple and papaya. Popped a multi vitamin and (here's where I think I went wrong) swigged a Red Bull.
Well I made it to the lunge, kick-back curl move, and then totally lost my stomach. I was sweating and my heart was beating outta my chest so I feel pretty good about my effort, but I think the Red Bull
was unwise, for me at least. Live and learn, I suppose, but,

I will master this.

Sara said...

Oh god, Jbird, Redbull for breakfast, let alone pre-core synergistics!? wow, that's bold. that would totally make me hurl :) congrats on making it that far into the workout!

Rock on with the mastering and let us know how future workouts go...

Anonymous said...

I must admit the dreya roll is something I didnt think I was gonna be able to do this but after the 2nd week I had no prolem. I've lost 18 pounds from tony horton's p 90 x I'ts not easy but I do it and I'm happy and have more energy. Th diet plan is all right there and it can be costly but I love it p90x is the way to go.

Anonymous said...

HI all, notes from the successful Dreya Roll- Remember to exhale as you roll up- take a breath and again exhale as you come up. If you don't then you end up holding your breath while trying to stand back up and it's like having a lead balloon trapped in your chest and it kills the momentum. you end up in the Dreya Butt Sit which isn't nearly as fun as the Super X-jump you can get to in a few weeks!

Tamsen said...

Good tips, Anon!

Anonymous said...

I'm a little further into the program and I finally made it completely through every move in Core Synergistics. I was so shocked I called my husband.