Thursday, October 18, 2007

Countdown to Lean - 4!

So I actually spent more time yesterday reading the P90x nutrition plan yesterday and I realized I may have overreacted a bit... (shocking, I know!)

It seems that I would only have to try the 1-carb/day plan as long as it worked for me. If I found myself not doing well with only one carb portion a day, I could transition over to the next phase. Apparently the third phase is very high carb, for the endurance athlete. They explain that if you are already somewhat athletic when you begin, the first phase might not work, and as long as you try it for a day or two, you can move onto the next phase.

Well, I'll get off my high horse now and give this nutrition plan a serious whirl. In the meantime, since my horse is still right here and all saddled up, I'll get right back on it to bitch about this: what is up with Dean K and his neanderthal diet?!?!?! OK, some of the stuff he says makes sense to me, the whole eating organic, fresh fruits and veggies and lean meat. Avoiding refined sugars and simple carbs makes sense too. However, perhaps Dean was unaware of this, but there actually already is a neanderthal diet that was around a couple of years ago, near the height of the Atkins craze. It goes by many names, Paleolithic diet, Neanderthin, Eat like a Caveman... These diets promote completely avoiding grains, beans and dairy.

It's the reasoning that kills me! That cavemen didn't suffer from the plethora of ailments that plague modern woman. "Long live Neanderthal Man!" says Dean in his post. Well, guess what?! The average Neanderthal didn't really make it past his twenties, so it's no wonder he didn't get heart disease.

Bah. Anyway, I'm getting psyched to start the P90x - and not only is Tamsen doing it with me, but so is my husband, Big E. I created a google calendar for us (in red) and as Big E said when he saw it, that's a lot of red!

Today, Tamsen and I went for a little lunch hour run downtown, which was really fun, and then I had my tasty leftovers for lunch: butternut squash soup, a lettuce, garbanzo & sweet corn salad*, a carrot, and an apple. Delicious!

*can you believe we're still getting corn in our CSA box?!?

PS. Thank you, Dr. Weil!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I'm with you on the carb thing - sitting on my horse, riding up into the same range. As for being sensible about what you eat but not militant, I quite agree however, I've read some disturbing things about organic foods lately - being not as "organic" as one would hope. If I budget to pay more for produce than what the big corporate farms charge via grocery chain, and sometimes I do, I buy sustainable foods, from local farmers farming with all natural means. If you haven't looked into it, you might be interested to google "sustainable table" or "truth about organic food". AND since you're a writer maybe you can research why the price of milk has more than surpassed inflation in the last 30 years but the price of eggs (in 30 years) has barely increased. Bringing It the P90X way in TX

Sara said...

Hey Grigg Mama!
There's all kinds of great information out there about how to find real organic foods and not just posers. I'd love to chat with you more about it, if you're interested. For starters though, I really enjoy The Omnivore's Solution and The Ethicurean, two blogs that address some of these issues. Happy bringing it!