Friday, March 9, 2007

P90X - Week 1 in Review

i was not prepared.

the buzzphrase for this program is BRING IT, which at first i scoffed at then realized i perhaps had packed it then left it at home. this is typical of me, on most issues of commitment, dedication and discipline. i am fantastically skilled at sliding strong into second base then remaining there, curled up in a nap. (one of my favorite episodes of "invader zim": zim drives his easily-distracted robot gir into a movitational frenzy, whereupon gir launches into a fierce run that ends twenty steps later in a deep snooze.)

so i am no longer permitted to scoff at cheesy motivational declarations.

however, when i did manage to BRING IT, i got my ass kicked in a good way. you know that wobbly feeling you get when you've worked muscles that have been lounging by the pool for years? ahhhyeah, that.

P90 in general: It's fast, furious and funny - Tony Horton is one of those charismatic and passionate trainers, using a charming, energy-infused, take-no-prisoners style. He reminds me a lot of the fantastic Jim Karanas, a fitness coach based at Club One in San Francisco, who justifiably has a passionate following. Most of the P90 workouts are about an hour long; the Ab Ripper is 15 minutes (of pure hell). since i'll be doing these workouts for rest of march, i'll only go over a couple at a time.

Chest & Back and the Ab Ripper X
Chest and Back, like the rest of the weight-based programs, is constructed to work alternating muscle sets, something i tried to do with freeweights but wasn't really sure i was doing. It's approximately 22 sets, some repeats, of weight lifting (i used bands) and nasty-ass push-ups. my upper body is my weakest spot (tri- and biceps having lounged by that pool with mai tais for far too long). i did not manage as many reps as i thought i should in some parts, and managed far too many (meaning i wasn't using enough weight) in others. but i learned a lot about my capacity and i know i'll easily be able to mark my progress. if i can do a single, decent military push-up at any point before the 90 days is up, it will be a lifetime first.

Ab Ripper: 13 rapid exercises of 25 reps each, 325 reps total. no, i couldn't do them all, and most of them left me laughing in weak surrender. can you say OW?

Shoulders and Arms (also with Ab Ripper)
hello, my dear. i am called a tricep. we apparently have never met before, although i think you imagine we had. i do believe i will make my presence known to you for days at a time now. when you push up from your side using only me, that is our greatest moment of intimacy.


triceps, did you just call me biyatch? oh yes you did. and my shoulders called me filthy names that cannot be repeated here. suffice it to say that there were a lot more lounge chairs by that pool than i had pretended to know. still: wobbly, sore, cranky and profane though they are, these muscles are mine and i am their master...if i do what i'm told. quite the paradox.

more soon...



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear how it goes! I'm on the fence myself...Thanks and Good Luck!

Josh said...

Good luck! I just bought the P90X video series and I'm scared to death. I haven't been physically active in a long time, but I figured something rough was the only way to go for me. I just barely passed the P90X Fitness Test on their website.

Josh said...

Good luck! I just bought the P90X video series and I'm scared to death! But I think a strict hard workout with quick results is the only way I'm going to stick to it.

Anonymous said...

Hi All,

Can you please give me the website you bought the p90x program?

I heard about p90x and thought there would be a web page p90x.com as a guess, but I could not find anything.

Thank you for your blog and I will keep checking back to see your progress.

Anonymous said...

Hi


I have been using P90x and I just love it. I have had stubborn fat that never went away no matter how hard I tried.

P90x program told me what to eat and when to eat it. I am definitely seeing the results and the fat is going away slowly but surely.

Howard and others who are looking to buy p90x. well I bought mine from the only place I shop,Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WQC7X0?ie=UTF8&tag=rina5392-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000WQC7X0

You also get the chin up bar and bands.. which are great.. a MUST have!


I dont use the recovery drinks, just some carbs and protein after workout. I am really not into supplement that much, so I stayed away.

Anonymous said...

H.B. in Florida

I started P90X on 7/29/07 at age 691/2. I work out tues,weds&saturday, so it takes me 6 months to do the 3 month program. I am astounded at the results! For you beginners, I recommend that you do Kempo,Yoga and Plios the first week then do them again week two. NOW, you are ready to begin. P.S.I just bought P90X Plus, so you better get started!

Anonymous said...

Iam going to give it a try, hope it works :-) iam tired of being a fat dude.