Friday, January 25, 2008

Out with the Old, In with the New!

Yeah, I know I didn't say much about finishing up the P90X Lean program, but we really did get all the way through.  Well, almost.  We didn't do much that last recovery week, but that's OK, because we were just mentally gearing up to properly attack our new program... P90X Classic!

Although, it's really more like P90X-Lower Body.  I've shuffled the program around a bit to include more Legs and Back and more Core Synergistics, and less upper body.  So it's going to go a little something like this:

Week 1:  
  • Tues:  Legs & Back + Ab Ripper
  • Weds:  Plyo (can't wait!)
  • Thurs:  Shoulders & Arms + Ab Ripper
  • Fri:  Yoga X
  • Sat:  Legs & Back + Ab Ripper
  • Sun:  Kenpo X

Then the next week, we'll swap out the first Legs and Back with Core Synergistics and the Shoulders & Arms with Chest and Back.

Why are we doing this, you might ask?  Because while we appreciate how important building our upper body strength is, both of us have much more need of leg strength and core strength... Me for my running, Big E for his ultimate.  We discussed this at length and figured that the P90X program seemed a bit more geared towards having a pretty, beach-ready body with huge guns and sexy triceps, which is great and all.  But we really care more about having really strong abs, strong legs and while looking good in a bathing suit would be great, it's more of an added bonus and less our goal.

When do we start our P90X-Lower?  This coming Tuesday.  And yes I'll be attempting a nutrition plan again (but remind me to tell you later about the awesome healthy energy cookies I made last week!).  We'll also be measuring our results this Sunday so we'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Hoosier Daddy said...

Nice blog. I'm a cyclist in Indiana and just started the P90x program this week. Last September I was in a bad riding accident and broke the radial head on my left arm as well as 3 fingers and had to get 6 stiches in my eyebrow to boot. Surgery and 4 months of a sedentary lifestyle left me with a lot of additional pounds and a lot of lost fitness.

I'm hoping this program will spur some weight loss and build up my woefully lacking upper body which is lacking from being a cyclist.

Sara said...

Oy - that does not sound like fun! Nice work getting back on the saddle (so to speak)... We've found that P90X is a great way to get back in shape, especially after an involuntary hiatus. Great to have you around (and love the name)

Tamsen said...

I'm with Matthew's comment (to the John Cleese post): Plyo and Legs and Back...back-to-back? You crazy, Yossarian! Plus, since most of your off-P90 cardio is all lower body, I do believe you're tossing the muscle confusion part of our program off the path...

But I like the experiment. P90X should work on its own and in conjunction, and I do think it's tweakable. It's going to be interesting to see both yours and E's first four-week results and your overall 90-day results!