Wednesday, February 21, 2007

It's the Final Countdown

First, I'd like to apologize for the cheesy 80s title reference, but hey, growing up in Tunisia, that song was very important to me as I jumped around my bedroom, singing along to it. Which sort of counts as a cardio workout, so that almost excuses the use of the title. Almost.

More importantly, the time is almost here: 5 days till the Self Challenge begins. I figured I'd take these moments to reflect upon what the challenge promises, how it works and my current workout program.

The Self Body Makeover has 3 parts: Cardio, Strength and Nutrition. Back when it first started, it had 4, including a flexibility section. I'm not sure why they got rid of that, it was something I was (and probably still am) desperately in need of. The website doesn't say much about what the program entails this year (that is to say, beyond the promise of getting a great bikini-ready body... colour me skeptical: Really? bikini-ready in 3 months? That does seem like a bit of a stretch. I was merely going for "happier in my one-piece")

Last year, the way it worked was there was an online log where you could keep track of every workout you did, and it would tell you when you'd fulfilled that week's goals. The first month had a 3 cardio, 3 strength workouts requirement, and that was slowly increased
over the next two months. Then there was the food diary where you were supposed to log everything you ate. Yeah, I never did that part more than once or twice and have trouble believing I will keep track of that this year, but I'll try.

Lately, I've already been working out quite a bit, so it won't be difficult for me to fulfill the initial requirements. I've been running 3-4 times a week, for at least 30 minutes and occasionally as much as two and a half hours. I've been doing occasional strength workouts, about one or two a week, so that is something that the challenge should helpfully improve upon.

And remember how I said I didn't have a Playstation 2 for the Yourself Fitness program? Well, since I wrote that, I was so kindly bequeathed a Playstation 2 and ordered the program, although I probably won't have it to start until several weeks into the challenge.

My goal ultimately really is to look good in a bathing suit as well as in my wedding dress, since I'm getting married this summer, and going on a fun beach trip with our family and wedding party. But I'm also training for a half marathon or two and Tamsen and I are doing this crazy, intense relay. I'm looking forward to the challenge going live this coming Monday and hope to have others join me! Are you ready?

No comments: