Monday, February 12, 2007

Here we go again!

Well, folks, it's that time of year again - The Self Challenge. Let's see - the first time I did the self challenge was in 1998. Have I ever lost any weight while doing it? Hmm... It's doubtful. Have I ever really completed the entire challenge? Also doubtful. But I keep coming back every year.

What I like about it is it's accessibility. I can easily fit in the number of cardio workouts it requires per week. I have a bit of a harder time doing the strength workouts, but I'm hoping to be better at that this year. What I've never been able to do is keep a food diary.

Will that change this year? That remains to be seen. So why am I doing this? This year has already kicked off as my highest motivation level ever - I've been working about 5-6 days a week already! and the challenge hasn't even begun yet. I've already run my first race of the year, the Kaiser Permanente Half Marathon in San Francisco, and did my best time yet - a whole 15 minutes faster than my previous PR!!! (I'm still a bit giddy about that). If ever there was a good year for me to take on and complete this challenge, 2007 seems to be it.

I do like the strength workouts the challenge provides, since I don't have a gym membership and prefer to use free weights at home. And while I would love to do a Yourself! fitness challenge instead (having discovered the program when visiting my parents this past december), I don't own a playstation or xbox and don't plan to buy one any time soon.

So when Tamsen told me about her Tiny in 90 plan, I decided to join her. Well, to be honest, first I snickered at the thought that I could ever be "tiny", seeing as that I'm a broad-shouldered, wide-hipped 5'9"-er. And then, I agreed.

So here we go - let's get this fitness challenge started!

No comments: