Wednesday, December 19, 2007

My New Favourite Pre-workout Snack

It's actually a bit more of a mid-afternoon snack, so about an hour or so before we generally workout, but I've found that I definitely need a bit of a boost before the daily workout, or I just can't quite Bring It.

My current favourite snack has been plain Greek nonfat yogurt (apparently, Greek yogurt is much higher in protein than normal, and happens to taste totally creamy and delicious, even when it's nonfat!) mixed with a small handful of walnuts, a drizzle of agave nectar and a small amount of chopped fruit (most recently a deliciously ripe persimmon).

So delicious, so quick, and completely healthful! Yum.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So which is better snack pre or post workout? I tend to like an empty stomach working out but my schedule sometimes doesn't allow for that.

Charlotte said...

I've never know which is best pre or post workout snack?

Sara said...

Hey Charlotte!!! Great to have you on here. I think it really depends on what time of day you're working out and what exactly you're doing. I would say that if you've a good filling meal sometime before your workout (a couple of hours) you might not need a snack before the workout. However, if you didn't have enough at your last meal, or if it was longer before you got your workout, a snack would help you have a stronger workout. In that case, it's really trial and error to find what works best for you. It could be a really simple carb that's easier on your digestion, such as some bread or a piece of fruit.

As for after the workout, it's always good to give your body a little bit of carbs to replenish your glycogen stores and a bit of protein to help rebuild your muscles, but it may not always be necessary if your workout was on the shorter side or not that taxing. As a general rule, I'd say listen to your body! It'll tell you if you need some extra recovery help. And don't forget if you did have a tough or long workout, you'll need to eat something within that 30 minute window after you're done.

Charlotte said...

Thanks for the explanation, that makes total sense. You are right you can't just have a general rule to stamp on as best. I think in a busy life I cling to a rule when really I just need some time to check in with what my body is saying.

I got the nonfat Greek yogurt at Trader Joe's. OMG! I am ruined, all other yogurt is now just runny and sour. Thanks!