Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Building A Base

This initial month of my gettin' back in shape program is what I'm calling building a base.  I'm still way to weak to do something like P90X or even most of the N+TC workouts.

My main goal this month is to really focus on strengthening my core and protecting my back, all while starting to build up a little bit of cardio endurance.

Because of the previously mentioned back problems (aka the Babyback), the core strengthening is crucial. I have a little routine I do thanks to my lovely physical therapist Sydney that I supplement with some other stuff taken from here and there.

It varies (because I get bored with routines quickly) but here is what my week roughly looks like:


  • Day One:  Core stabilizing routine and abs plus 30 minutes elliptical
  • Day Two:  Short core stabilizing routine plus 30 minute treadmill run
  • Day Three: 30 minute Core strengthening workout
  • Day Four: Core stabilizing routine plus 30 minutes treadmill
  • Day Five: 45 Strength and Abs (probably a N+TC workout)
  • Day Six: Rest
  • Day Seven: Longer run

The short core stabilizing routine involves:
  1. Supine pelvic repositioning - 4 times 
  2. Core activation - twice with crossed arms and twice uncrossed
  3. Toe taps
  4. Bird dog - 15 seconds per side, 3 repeats
The longer version includes also:
  1. Hip Lifts
  2. Hip lifts with alternating legs lifts
  3. Bicycles
  4. Flutter kicks (still with legs pretty high up to keep back pressed against floor)
  5. Forearm planks
  6. Squats
Today was Day 3 and I supplemented the Core stabilizing routine with an ab workout from N+TC - Alpha Abs.  It was perfect for me right now.  (At some point, I'll tell you all about my love of N+TC)

I'm hoping to do this for two more weeks and then maybe move on to a specific 30 or 90 day workout block, either from N+TC or maybe PiYo...  Any favourite 30 day workout plans out there?

No comments: