Thursday, August 23, 2007

Getting Back On Track

I've been gone for so long and completely lost my second 90 day set finale...
What can I say, despite my unwillingness to believe it, weddings really do swallow up your life. From the Sunday before our wedding (when the family members showed up) till two and a half weeks later when I got back from the wedding continuation trip (no honeymoon for us), all I did was two runs: one hard angry 30-min run on rehearsal day (can I just say I run harder and quieter when dealing with family wedding-related crazies?*) and one lovely sunny hour long run on the day of the wedding.

That's it. No strength and no cardio even once the initial wedding dust settled. OK, there was one night of regular dancing, one night of belly dancing lessons and a full night of obligatory belly dancing as part of my second wedding celebration. There was also some frisbee throwing in the sea and some recreational swimming. But that's it!

So now I'm back in town, ready to get back on track, feeling a bit heavier after 2 weeks of feasting and the lighter workout load. My main question is what do I do? For the rest of this week, I'll just ease my way back into working out with a run here and there and some visits with Maya (hopefully she'll be understanding). But then what? I dropped the ball on the Women's Health Magazine plan, but aside from the one week kick off, that workout plan didn't do much for me.

People who've noticed that I lost weight this past year keep attributing it to the fact that I was getting married, either as in "When I was a bride, I was so stressed I hardly ever ate!" or "Trying to get in shape for the wedding, eh?" Which is totally fine, if that's what my motivator was. But it wasn't. My motivation stemmed from a number of things, but primarily developing a good research foundation for the athletic cookbook I've been working on.

My goal for 2008 is to run 8 races (half marathon and up). And for that, I'd like to be in as good shape as I can be. So I will continue to ponder what my next workout plan will be...

1 comment:

Abby said...

Heey again, I posted previously about how much I love the blog, blalala, and it's still true. Glad to see an update!

First off, congrats on making it through the wedding planning/execution without physically hurting a family member. I hear that's the hard part.

Second, I'm going to start running again, starting Monday, and am hoping to run a 10k in Nov. It's been a while since I've ran, and I'm really...no good...but I love it. You guys are good motivation!

Besides that, I've recently discovered some great workout DVD's that I'm giving a shot. I stalked reviews on Amazon, and started a blog (although it hasn't been updated in a while..whoops). Anyway, if you're looking to improve strength/muscle tone, Jari Love's Slim & Lean is kickin' my ass. And another "definer," The Bar Method, is pretty intense. I haven't been doing them long enough to see results, but so far I love them. I'm in fairly good shape (Cardio 3-5x a week, 45-60 min, strength training when I can motivate myself) and they're still a challenge, but not frustrating.

Ok. Long comment. But just some suggestions! Hope you find something new/fun. - Abby